Name: Swahili of Comros
Primary Religion: Islam (100%)
Status of Gospel: Unreached and Unengaged; No Evangelicals (0.00%) and None Who Identify as Christians (0.00%); No Active Church Planting Movement
The Swahili are scattered along Eastern Africa and the Persian Gulf, from Saudi Arabia to Zambia, many of them settling in cities and towns that are trade centers for the Persian Gulf. Many of the upper class Swahili manage small businesses, do clerical work and teach school, while those living in cities sometimes own plantations that provide both their income and food supply. Nearly all of the Swahili profess to be Muslim; however, many of their traditional pre-Islamic beliefs and practices still exist, such as their belief in good and evil spirits.
- Ask God to raise up prayer teams to break up the soil through worship and intercession.
- Ask God to raise up Christian businessmen who will boldly share Christ with the Swahili.
- Ask the Lord of the harvest to send forth many laborers into East Africa.
- Pray that the Holy Spirit will encourage Swahilis to believe in Christ.
- Pray for a softening of their traditional Muslim culture so that the Gospel may be freely preached.
- Ask the Lord to raise up strong local churches among the Swahili.